CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Listening Ear

Earlier today, I spent two hours with my student listening to all her ideas, pains, hopes and dreams. I was suppose to teach her a new lesson in English but last night her Aunt spoke to me about what she wanted me to inculcate in the mind of her niece. She wanted to increase the level of my student’s comprehension. She wanted me to put some sense into her. I spent an hour listening to her wishes last night.

On my way home I was like… hello! I have a Herculean task ahead of me. Imagine having to understand the whole story behind my student’s life and helping her rise to her feet to be well equipped in facing the complex world there is out there. I began processing things on my own. I asked myself, at first I took this part-time job to teach the kid how to communicate in English. Now, I’m being asked to do an overhaul. Not that I’m complaining, but my role now is turning out to be a shrink.

I don’t have a clue what shrinks really do except for those I’ve seen on TV, where they give all those recommendations. But to me those are crappy things because who are we to judge or to give a valuable insight when we were never really in the shoe of the patient. They say experience is a good mentor. How can a shrink be so knowledgeable about pains and anguish? Is this something you learn in school? I don’t think so… When you come to think of it, at the end of the day, we only have ourselves to reckon with. Whatever mistakes or failures we’ve committed should not be remedied by others. We have to learn to rise where we fall and garner the strength to move on and make whatever time is left in our lives, count.

In those times when we seemed lost and insecure, we should not turn to shrinks who know nothing about every bit of emotion going on inside us. What we need is a friend who will be there to listen without judgment. Not many people are capable of listening but if ever you will have a friend in need at some point, don’t hesitate to listen and just be there. I’ll let you in a little secret I’ve learned today, listening can be very rewarding. Somehow, you become a part of that person who shared something with you and it opens your eyes to the many blessings you’ve had had and the blessings you are now enjoying. I guess when we are given the gift of listening; we have to put it in to good use. Take note: A GOOD LISTENER IS A GOOD CONVERSATIONALIST.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aba naman, kung gusto nya ng overhaul sa pamangkin nya, dapat manghingi ka ng 100 percent increase sa salary. ano sha, masaya?

ngapala...punta tayo Cambodia this year...bisitahin natin ang Angkor Wat. Sige na!

TM tots said...

sister, kala ko ba punta tayo sa singapore sa july? kelan naman tayo punta ng cambodia? am praying kase na makapunta ako sa japan this year eh.