CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 02, 2006

My Kaki Lima

In a foreign land one has to learn to adapt to the environment. Man has this tendency to find a nook wherever in the world he/she may be that sort of provide that sense of belongingness.

In this part of the world where I am now, I find comfort in this place along the side of the main road near my place. You can only see this at around five pm onwards or up until the containers are empty. Here they call it "kaki lima"” which literally means 5 legs. Three of which belongs to the trolley and the other two for the person selling the goods. When, I don't feel like cooking or am tired of eating pork, I usually go to this place where I can have a little chitchat with "Bapak"(literally means father) and enjoy his "soto ayam" (chicken soup). They say chicken soup is good for the body. So I try to at least have a bowl of chicken soup in a week. The soup is really good and it's cheap. Whenever I go there, Bapak already knows how I want my soup to be prepared and I always have a cold bottle of "Teh Botol".

This is a place where I can go and observe people and enjoy their stories. People from different walks of life somehow merge in this small place to have a taste of this sumptuous “soto ayam”. In this place also, I feel like I belong because just like everyone else I’ve met, they think I’m Indonesian. In a place like this, it feels good to know that somehow I can blend with them. But even if I am able to adapt, my heart is still in RP. There will never be any place better than Home. For the meantime however, my favorite "kaki lima" gives me that sense comfort even if I’m away from home.

0 comments: