CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ready for Marriage?

It is a woman’s business to get married as soon as
possible, and a man’s to keep unmarried as long as he can.
- George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Oh darn! One by one! Yes! You heard me right… my girlfriends; one by one they are all starting to get into this huge thing called marriage. Doing the planning and working on the details of having that perfect day of their lives. A fantasy comes true.

Well, just seeing them being ecstatic and all will somewhat give you that feeling that the “happy and care free days” will soon be over. Marriage would mean no more late nights for dinner, coffee or donuts. Marriage would also mean no more movie nights and of course the girls’ night out, when we can just lie there and talk about everything under the moonlit sky.

I am beginning to think, marriage spoils fun for people. Oh but I know for sure, those married couple will say that there are some good things about being married. Oh swell! Tell me about it. From what I understand, when someone marries another person, one actually marries the whole family of that person you wanted to spend the rest of your life with. Just imagine the horror one would go through if you are not approved by the family of your special someone.

Another thing I’ve noticed with my really good friends, if before, we can be as open as possible about our problems, pains and frustrations… well, now they have the tendency of softening the blow they are experiencing because the person who are causing them pains happen to be the significant other. Sometimes, I can’t help but be mad. But what pains me the most is when I hear them utter a word of despair that if only they can turn back time, they would have opted not to marry this guy.

Marriage is not a joke. It is not something people can just get out of when it no longer feels right. Marriage is about trust, respect, sacrifice, compromise and love. This is a huge thing and should not be taken lightly. Couples should not rush into marriage as an escape goat or as a solution to pregnancy. These are all the wrong reasons of settling down. And I know for a fact that a lot of marriages failed due to haste into getting married.

I know it is every girl’s dream to have a fairy tale wedding and a lifetime of bliss with her significant other, but I guess one should note that he/she should get into marriage with eyes both wide open to be able to see things clearly. To all my friends who are about to plunge into this mountain of commitment, it is my earnest hope that you’ve given this whole thing so much thought and emotions but remember where your brain and heart is located and decide accordingly.

0 comments: